Wednesday 20 July 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children



I've been pretty excited to read this book and it's a series I was hoping I would want to finish.
I didn't actually read what this book was about, I pretty much just went by the cover and presume the story would just follow 'freak' kids in a children's home. Actually this story is about a 17 year old boy named Jacob who, since he was a child, was told lots of amazing stories by his grandfather about his life as boy living in a children's home which housed kids with some very unusual talents. As Jacob grows up he begins to believe that his grandfathers stories are just tall tales. However, after his grandfather dies by what would seem is creature not of this world and with his last words ringing in his mind he begins to wonder what this place that his grandfather spoke so fondly about really was.
He eventually finds his way to the children's home where he begins to discover that perhaps his grandfathers tales weren't all totally untrue...

I found this book very entertaining, very nicely written, there was a lot of details to follow with the characters and I really loved the addition of the photographs in the book although for me I think that perhaps the photographs could have stopped after the beginning when Jacob is looking through his grandfathers photographs. Part of why you read a book is so you can create your own image and whilst reading the descriptions of some of the 'peculiar' children it's fun to fill in that image on your own so I did feel I didn't need a photograph for every peculiar child that is described although they were fun to look at, I think perhaps if the photographs were at the end of the book it might have been better placed- for me at least. I imagine it would have been fun to finish the book then look through the pictures. But it certainly didn't ruin it  anyway.
The structure of the book was perfect for me- every time I started to just slightly think 'hmm... I think I could skim read this section' (something I do tend to do a lot in books) suddenly something exciting would happen and pick up to catch my interest again. I felt the developments of the characters were really well done, Their personalities almost matching their 'peculiar' talents.

I'm very looking forward to reading the next book now and seeing what other peculiar's are introduced. I think with the next books though I'll try to not look at the photographs till after I've read the whole book.

I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars!
Read With Me

2 comments:

  1. This is currently sat in my Amazon basket (well the trilogy boxset), want to read before we see the film! Thanks for sharing with #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a really interesting read. I never know whether best to read book before film :) #readwithme

    ReplyDelete